Thursday, June 28, 2012

Last Minute Is Kind Of My Thing

It's time to look at tonight's draft a mere 105 minutes before Anthony Davis is taken #1.  Too many trades are unknown and probably going to happen to do a full mock draft, which, I love because I have a deep affection for trades, but when the #2 pick has a 50-50 chance of being traded, it will ruin a mock draft pretty quickly.  I am ranking my top 10 players and will throw in some more takes on tonight.

My Top 10

1.  Anthony Davis -- Love his game.  Few things are better than a good post player.  I think he sacrificed his offensive game at Kentucky and can have a good to great offensive game in the pros.  Watch Andy Katz's interview, he was recruited as a 3-point shooter before he grew 7", the man is going to be a great professional for a long time.

Best fit: Any where, Nola is going to be very happy

2.  Michael Kidd-Gilchrist -- I watched a lot of Kentucky games and MKG always leaped out of the television.  He can do it all and should be the #2 pick (I'll get to Beal next).  Versatility on defense and rebounding will ensure a long career in this league, add his motor and a good offensive game and you're getting a future star.

Best fit: I like him in Washington but Charlotte would be smart to take him as well

3.  Bradley Beal -- He can shoot and take it ball to the hoop off of a ball fake.  I think comparing him to Ray Allen is a little much but I do agree that judging him fully on his time at Florida is wrong.  It wasn't a good fit, he was surrounded by ball hogs and played out of position, hard to judge a player (especially a freshman) solely on what he does in this type of situation.

Best fit: Any where because he can shoot and plays the 2, Washington would be a great fit though

4.  Thomas Robinson -- This man works his a** off and can rebound.  Those two qualities will keep you in the league, add a good offensive game and you're golden.  I see him as a sure thing and would be a great fit in Charlotte whether they draft him at #2 or if they can drop back and get him at #4.

Best fit: Charlotte

5.  Harrison Barnes -- People are comparing him to MKG and I see the similarities but he's not on his level.  Great shooter who needs a good PG is a decent combination but shouldn't be in the top 4.  He has a clutch gene and that is something you cannot coach.  If he goes 5th however, I hate the fit with him and Sacramento.

Best fit: Cleveland, he would flurish with Kyrie

6.  Damian Lillard -- He won't go this high but a 6' 3" experienced PG who can score is a rare find and should be valuable to any team.  You could switch my picks 6, 7, and 8 on any given day but I put him here because Portland would be smart to take him.

Best fit: Portland

7.  Dion Waiters -- It's amazing to me that a guy who never started in college will be drafted in the top 10 but that's what's going to happen.  I put him and Lillard on the same level and could see Portland taking either but Lillard gets the nod since he is a truer PG.

Best fit: Portland

8.  Austin Rivers -- Love his game, it fits the NBA, it didn't fit Duke.  Simple as that.  I think he goes high and I think he has everything he needs to be the best player on a playoff contender.  I don't see him as the best player on a championship team but he should be able to take any of these teams with early picks to the playoffs in a couple years.  If he falls to the Hornets at #10, it would ensure them of a bright future.  I'm leaning towards wanting this to happen but it probably shouldn't.

Best fit: Nola

9.  Andre Drummond -- You can't coach height nor athleticism.  Drummond has both and that's the only reason he's this high.  Disappointing season at UConn is overshadowed by great potential.  He would be a great choice for Houston to trade up for whether for themselves or for Orlando in exchange for Dwight Howard.  Golden State wouldn't be a bad choice because they have lacked the size to compete for the last couple of years though a great trade for Andrew Bogut might have fixed that.

Best fit: Houston (or Orlando)

10.  Meyers Leonard -- I think this kid can play.  I watched him at Illinois and I really like what he can do as a 7 footer.  I know this is too high for him to go tonight but I like him enough to take a flyer on him in my top 10.  I think he can be a solid starter on a contending team.

Best fit: Boston, Rondo makes everyone better

Grab Yourself a 7 Footer

This draft has four 7 footers that could go in the first round.  I definitely see Fab Melo going late in the first.  There are 2 or 3 more that could go in the second round.  The Heat erased the notion that you need a big man to win a championship on the surface.  But Bosh was necessary for them to win and a solid 7 footer on any team will only be an asset.  So go get yourself one tonight.

Second Round Steals

Watch for Doron Lamb because, simply, the kid can shoot.  He got overshadowed on a stacked Kentucky team but, if John Wall's Kentucky team had Lamb on it, Wall would have himself a championship ring.  Shooting was the only thing that team lacked.  It makes bad teams good and good teams great.  Someone will get a steal when they draft this Lamb.

Other notables: Festus Ezeli, Jeff Taylor, John Jenkins, Robbie Hummel

Five Tool Players

Royce White and Draymond Green -- You're heard of five tool players in baseball, well these guys are the equivalent of five tool guys for baseball.  They're big, they play hard, they rebound, they post, they pass, they can dribble, they can shoot... They're coaches' dream players.  Two organizations will hit homeruns mid to late in the draft by picking one of these guys.

Draft Night MVP

Houston -- Whatever happens tonight, Houston is my MVP of this draft.  Best case scenario: get Dwight Howard and Deron Williams.  Medium case scenario: get Andre Drummond and a good verteran.  Worst case: draft 3 players with picks in the teens of a loaded draft.  It is going to be hard for them to screw it up and I can't wait to see how they finish this exciting week for them.

Sneaky Potential: Boston -- two picks in the 20's, watch out for some interesting movement

Bowtie Perdictions

Most wanted #1: Meyers Leonard -- big man, little tie

Most wanted #2: Austin Rivers -- looks like a man who can pull it off (P.S. I hope his dad is able to be with him in the green room)

Most wanted #3: Draymond Green -- won't be in the green room but I hope he is either in the stands or is wearing one at home

Sneaky pick: Damian Lillard -- Weber State represent!

Highest Drafted: Bradley Beal -- that outfit during during interviews screamed bowtie potential

Least wanted: Tyler Zeller -- don't ruin this trend

No comments:

Post a Comment