Thursday, June 28, 2012

Wrapping up 2011

Before I get into this year's draft I need to spend some time reflecting on 2011.  Like I said, I went 3 for 30 on picks and I hope I don't lose too much of my non-existant draft-cred by have two of the three correct perdictions coming off of picks made by David Kahn and the Timberwolves.  They did start the season looking like they could make the playoffs thanks to one Ricky Rube.  Anyways, let's get this wrapped up so we can move on...

Best Draft:

UTAH JAZZ -- It's easy to pick a team who had two picks but the Jazz legitimately picked two solid players that should help them for many years.  They took Enes Kanter at 3 and Alec Burkes at 12.  Burkes contributed more during the season but Kanter and Favors set the Jazz up for a potentially great front line for years too come.

Notible Mentions:

NJ NETS -- This is part hindsight but turning the #27 pick in JuJuan Johnson into a trade for Marshon Brooks was huge and a no-brainer if you're the Nets front office. 

WASHINTON WIZARDS -- I had Chris Singleton going high in this draft and the Wizards got him at with the 19th pick.  That alone is worthy of a good draft grade but it looks like Jan Vesely will be a solid player and getting his girlfriend courtside for every game is a must.

Head Scratcher:

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS -- I don't understand taking Tristian Thompson at #4.  I get you need a big man and you hit a homerun with Irving but trading back would have been a solid option or at least getting someone more save.  I was shocked when I heard this pick announced and will wait a couple years to say, "I told you so," but it doesn't make sense a year later much less that night.

I Told You So:

KAWHI LEONARD -- I will not wait a couple years beforing labeling this pick my "I told you so pick."  In my mock draft, Leonard went to Washington at #6.  I understand them taking Vesley because he fell to them but I don't understand Leonard dropping to #15 and apparently neither did the Spurs.  They jumped in for a trade sending George Hill to Indiana for Leonard (not a bad trade for Indiana).  Leonard only went on start for the team with the best record in the league, hit several clutch 3's in the playoffs, and as good as a rookie could probably do in guarding Kevin Durant in the playoffs.  How did he drop all the way to #15?

My Worst Perdiction:

JOSH SELBY -- I had a couple bad calls but I was about 20 picks off on this one.  He saved some face by getting more minutes than some who were drafted ahead of him but this perdiction was atrocious and I will admit it.

Second Round Love:

CHANDLER PARSONS -- Loved him before the draft and he showed up this year.  He has a bright future in this league (I can't claim he'll be great in Houston because who knows who will be on their roster after tonight?) and will be a good player for years to come.

Rookie Of The Year:

KYRIE IRVING -- Great season. Hope the concussion issues don't bother him in the future. And a great YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DnKOc6FISU

My Favorite Rookie:

RICKY RUBIO -- This man can BALL and I love it.  I hope he and Kevin Love play together for 10+ years and become the best pick-and-pop combo ever.  I've never fully considered buying a legit NBA jersey (for the main fact that it doesn;t work well for white people) but one day I might buy Rubio's.

No comments:

Post a Comment